I suggest you ...

Assess fees without making an "appointment."

We charge patients for past due payments, returned checks, filling out forms, and refills outside of appointments. At the moment, in order to create those fees, we have to make an appointment. But that makes their "last appointment" inaccurate.

100 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sarah shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brieanna Jennings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We sell products & use custom codes to track inventory, so this is a huge problem for us, too!
        What we did is create a seperate office called "Products and Purchases" where we'll schedule the appointment. It's worked out well for us so far.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Huge headache! Trying to figure out how to bill for a phone call. Communication Log only allows charging pt cash and not creating a claim for 99441...

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous
        If you make an appointment profile (scheduling->appointment profiles) for these "fake" appointments, you can have it automatically set the reason. The workflow becomes: every time you make a fake appointment, just select the fake appointment profile and enter the charges in the billing tab. This is useful because when sending referrals it shows you the appointment reason. You could set the reason to "billing only appointment do not include".

You can take this a step further by creating a fake exam room specifically for fake appointments. You would need to make an appointment template (scheduling->appointment templates) that covers the exam room for each day of the week. Then when you click in that exam room, it automatically sets the appointment profile to your fake appointment profile. The workflow after setup is just clicking on the schedule, picking a patient, and entering charges.

If the fake exam room is cluttering your schedule view, make a fake office.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Max- You're exactly right! It also means that I have an empty note that I have to remember is not real, when sending records to others.

@Rita E. Greene
        The only problem with a Records Requests and Refills appointment is that it changes the "Last Appt" (shown when you open the patient chart, or when hovering over the patient on the schedule).

• Rita E. Greene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a suggestion...We created custom codes attached to some of our billing. You could so that for past due payments and returned checks and add the custom code to the date of service it corresponds with. For Medical Records and refills outside of appointments I would also create the custom codes and create appointments for Records Requests and Refills and enter the appointment with the custom code billing.

This is a side effect of drchrono's appointment-based design. With the current system, every claim and every payment (by payment I mean all billing information) is associated with an "appointment", which is sort of drchrono's version of an "episode of care".

To implement your suggestion would require a re-working of the core design, since you suggest disassociating "appointments" with payments. This is like asking a library to switch from alphabetic sorting by genre to flat alphabetic sorting, aside from reorganizing the library people would have to adjust how they look for books.

Your current workaround (making appointments) has the problem of changing the patient's "last appointment". I noticed that you can edit the "last appointment" at the bottom of the patient's demographics under the important tab. Unfortunately it isn't practical to edit the "last appointment" field every time you make a transaction.

Because you can change what shows as the "last appointment", drchrono must store it separately (as opposed to looking up the last appointment every time you open a patient's chart).

Here is an alternate suggestion: drchrono could add a check box to each appointment whether to update the patient's "last appointment". Then you could make an appointment template for your fees which automatically turns off that check box.

Feedback and Knowledge Base