I suggest you ...

Integrate with Dropbox for direct pdf uploads from ipad

Many of us use 3rd party apps for electronic forms and signatures to eliminate the last bit of paper work. It would be time saving and efficient if we could upload scanned documents directly from dropbox.

231 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John Giacalone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should not be signed off as completed. All the box integration does is another form of back up. What was suggested was to be able to use an iPad to take pictures of a document (using 3rd party app) to upload a document to a patient file. There are many apps that allow taking pictures and turning them into PDF files (helps for batches or multiple pages). It would be nice to upload it into the patients chart from the iPad directly. Right now you have to take a clinical photo which only allows one page at a time. Super slow. Again this is not completed.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe dropbox is HIPAA compliant as my personal server (Webdav anyone?)

• Avi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropbox is a way better product than Box.com for ease of use and speed. I think you should enable dropbox as well and let your users determine whether it is in compliance with HIPAA, which I suspect it is for many users setups.

• Jamie Pettus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Box for HIPAA compliance. I use it and it works very well. Another less well known option is Spideroak.

• James Alvarenga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This may just be the solution instead of having to use a TWAIN scanner.

I can see this feature sinking up with some API for dropbox. All you would have to do is hit the refresh and it would load the documents from Dropbox. From there you can then import and then delete once it has been copied to patient record.

• Mark McDonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see the proposed pdf upload feature integrated into the live electronic signature (patient signs document with a finger on the iPad screen) feature of Onboard for forms that require modification, such as medication consent or release of information. This would eliminate the need to print the completed patient-specific form, have the patient sign with a pen, scan the document back into the computer, then attach it to the EMR note.

• vincente commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By far this should be the first thing to be integrated.... this would make the system instantly compatible with other digital tests that also use dropbox!

Huge time saver and valuable addition to the platform

• kyle savage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Best way to do this I think would be to use the 'Open' functionality on the iPad, and have it open in the Messages section of the app. That way, it looks like any other fax, and can be assigned to a patient with ease.

• Stephen Wagner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about just activating "Open in" functionality. If we have a PDF in another app, like DropBox or Type on PDF we can select Open in and have DrChrono in the list. DrChrono could automatically prompt for patient to upload the PDF to. Could even use the recent patient list, too.

• Sean Stringer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They all have the security above and beyond that of HIPAA compliance but many of these companies don't want the red tape of dealing with the government.

• EZ Scan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Box.com formerly Box.net is the HIPAA compliant version of Dropbox. Also, they recently implemented in-app modification of PDF's via PDF Expert, another iPad app. All DrChrono needs to do is to work with Box.com to allow modified files to be sent to the patients file directly from the Box app and everyone is happy. Should be pretty simple.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My research is showing that SugarSync being HIPAA compliant is false. In fact, both dropbox and sugarsync use the same secure storage, which is Amazon.

There are a couple of key issues here:

First and foremost is how you use the storage. If you use dropbox and you keep all files private (not public), you would probably be ok. If you encrypt those files first, then you are golden. By the same token, use something like box.net and leave patient files in public folders, then you could easily be in violation.

Secondly, there really is no "HIPAA compliant" badge that these companies can obtain, and most aren't interested. What seems to be the key thing to look for in order for the site to be closer to keeping you compliant, is the ability to track all access to the files. That means tracking each time someone looks at a file, not just downloads or changes it. Of those discussed here, box.net seems to be the only site that has this ability.

Lastly, we already have the ability to upload scanned docs from dropbox, you just have to do it on the website. Grabbing it directly from the iPad would be nice, but I don't see how it would save us that much time or effort.

• Estibalitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in my country, we do't have ccr or ccd.it would be great to be able to upload pdf for lab results.

• Stephen Wagner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe a different way to do this is to create a virtual printer to allow "print to Dr. Chrono." So if I print a report from a diagnostic machine, I could select the "Dr. Chrono" printer as a web printer and have the pdf show up in an inbox on Dr. Chrono that I could then upload the pdf to the appropriate patient file. Even better would be if Dr. Chrono could automatically read the pdf to get the patient name and suggest it as the one to upload it to.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base